Thursday, June 26, 2008

Viva Espana!

Well Spain just won their semi-final match in the EuroCup against Russia. The score was 3-0

Lets just say it was nuts. I just got home from the game and even while I sit here in my room I can hear horns honking and fire works going off all over the place. Football is life here and when your team wins it shows.

The bar was PACKED with people, all cheering for Spain (obviously) and after every goal people went crazy. Jumping up and down, deafening noise, high fives and hugs all around. But that was only the beginning. After they won we left the bar and started walking home. We encountered several large groups of people all chanting and thought, wow this is great. But then I reached one of the main plazas downtown. There were probably about 9-10 thousand people crowded into the plaza. People were climbing on the gigantic fountain, waving Spanish flags, shooting off huge fireworks and chanting.

I stopped in the Plaza for a while and partied with "the people" then started for home. As I walked, every car that passed was either honking its horn or waving a Spanish flag out the window or both. Even on the little scooters people were waving flags and screaming.

I have never experienced anything like this. The people I saw were all different ages, men and women. Some of them were even old. There is just nothing like this in the states. And this was only the semi-finals. What if they win the cup?

2 comments:

Stephen said...

If they win the cup, you might want to find a nice convenient cave somewhere until the "partying" is over. The good news is, they're much better mannered than the Brits!
Now, what about Morocco and your time there?

steviesmall said...

Go Spain!
Sweet mother of awesomeness.