Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Was it a good trip?

Since the minute that I got home people have been asking me, "Was it a good trip?" At first I was a little annoyed, but soon I realized that the more I get asked that question, the more I really consider it. Was it a good trip?

So far the answer has come back a firm yes. What is an awesome trip? Sometimes. There were times when I thought I could stay there for the rest of my life and be totally happy. But there were also times when I wanted to find the next plane home and go back to what is normal. The Wills, my host family, warned me from the get go that they didn't really have a summer internship and that I would kind of be on my own. I wasn't worried about it though. I mean I would be in Spain! How could I ever get bored? They also warned me that once the "honeymoon" stage was over it could get a little harder. Again I brushed it off, thinking, "There is no way I could get tired of something in just two months."

For a few weeks I was walking on the clouds. I was riding my bike around Granada, meeting Spanish people, and eating at tapas bars about twice a day. It was awesome. Everything was totally new and exciting. But after about 3 weeks things started to get less interesting. I had seen just about everything in Granada, I had spent way more money than I had planned to so I couldn't just go out all the time, I had no responsibilities so my days were LONG and kind of empty and I had gotten just a tad tired of not being able to have a normal conversation with someone because we don't speak the same language.

That is when I hit the low point of the trip. I spent week just moping around and feeling sorry for myself. I didn't have any friends so I didn't have anything to do. But I couldn't really make friends because I couldn't speak very good Spanish and even if I could, Spanish circles are really hard to break into. I just wanted to get out of there and go home.

Now that I look back on that, I see that there were two sides to that week. It's true that I didn't have many friends. And it's true that because I didn't have many friends I didn't have much to occupy my time. And it's also true that it's hard to make friends without good Spanish in a culture that isn't all that open to new people. BUT it's also true that I did have SOME friends who would have loved to hang out with me and some of them spoke English.

I think that the biggest problem was that I had no idea why I was in Spain. I kept wondering when I was going to have the opportunity to teach someone something. Or when I was going to do something useful for the the ministry there. But finally I realized that I wasn't there to help everyone. I realized that I was there to be taught. I know everyone always says that but I really mean it. I really had nothing to offer. Short trips in places like Spain are really hard because the people there aren't poor. It's not like I was going to go out and build some guy a house. All of the ministry is relationship based and good relationships take a long long time to develop. But I didn't have a long time to develop relationships.

After that I realized I just needed to relax and go with the flow. From there I learned all kinds of things about myself and how to interact with people. How to enjoy a little down time. How to really listen to someone when they are talking. I realized that I talk too much and that when I am having a conversation I need to be more interested in what the other person has to say rather than only being interested in what I have to say. I also realized that my friends can't replace God. That was a big one.

The trip was good.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Very good thoughts, Isaiah! And as the months progress, you'll be able to assess your time in Spain even more. It won't be long before you'll start to miss the very ambiance of the country. We predict you'll go back at some point.
Love, G. and G.